V by Vodafone – Privacy Statement
This privacy statement explains the information that is collected by Vodafone through the connectivity services we provide to your Connected Devices (‘Connected Devices’) and how this data will be processed. Connected Devices are those that are compatible with a V-Sim. You can view this statement, and the statement for our Connected Devices in the Settings Menu of the App at any time.
Some of our products are developed in partnership with specific third party partners, who will process your personal data as a data controller in their own right.
- V-Pet, in partnership with Kippy or POD.
- V-Bag and V-Kids Watch in partnership with Alcatel.
- V-Camera, in partnership with Arlo.
- V-Luggage and V-Mini, in partnership with Trackimo.
We take the privacy of our users very seriously. We ask that you read this privacy statement carefully as it contains important information about how we will use your personal data.
We have recently revised our Privacy Statement for this App and Service; the main changes are listed below.
|Reformatted privacy notice||We have updated the structure and format of the privacy notice to meet new legal requirements.|
|Added new partners||We have added new links to our additional partners for our newly launched products.|
Last updated: 05/11/2018
Who we are
We are Vodafone Ireland Ltd, a member of the Vodafone Group.
- “we/us” means Vodafone Ireland Ltd.;
- “third party” means someone who is not you or us; and
- “Vodafone Group” means Vodafone Group Plc and any company or other organisation in which Vodafone Group Plc owns more than 15% of the share capital.
Our registered office is Vodafone Ireland, Mountain View, Leopardstown, Dublin 18. We are registered in Ireland under company number 326967.
Our main switchboard is +353 1 2037000.
How to contact us
email@example.com or you can write to our privacy team at:
Data Protection Officer
Information we collect about you
The types of information we process about you when you use your Connected Devices are:
- Your Connected Device-generated data where it’s been provided by our partners (see Third party sources of data);
- Your account information, such as the number of products you have with us and dates of payment owed or received;
- Your preferences for particular products or services when you tell us what they are, or we assume what they are, based on how you use the products and services (see Marketing & profiling);
- Customer care information through your contact with us, such as a note or recording of a call you make to one of our contact centres;
- Information about the V-Sim connectivity we provide for Connected Devices, such as the data connections performed and the amount of data consumed;
- Your location data. This can be precise where it uses Global Positioning System (GPS) data or by identifying nearby mobile phone masts and Wi-Fi hotspots. Or less precise where, for example, a location is derived from your IP address or data such as a post code or name of a town or city.
We’ll also get information about how you use our products and services, such as:
- The level of service that you receive – for example, network or service faults and other events that may affect our network services or other services; and
- Details of your use of our services – for example, we can see the amount of data your devices are using which we can use to assess what sorts of data allowances we need to provide for different Connected Devices.
When we collect your personal information
We collect your personal information when:
- You use any of your Connected Devices;
- Device or app-generated data has been provided by our partners (see Third party sources of data);
- You subscribe to marketing; or
- You contact our customer care teams with a question or complaint.
Third party sources of data
Given that our customer care teams act of your one-stop-shop for queries and issues around your Connected Devices, we share limited personal data between Vodafone and the partners whose products you have purchased in order for us to achieve this. For example, we may need to share the fact that your device isn’t working or that we needed to reset it with the partner in question.
If you have given us your permission, we also receive your Connected Device’s Service Data from our partners in order to profile you and tailor our communications to you. For example, if we can see that you regularly use a product we might think you want to hear about our others. You can adjust your privacy preferences at any time; see Marketing and profiling for more details.
Where necessary, we collect information from certain organisations. These include fraud-prevention agencies, business directories and credit reference agencies.
Vodafone will process your personal data based on:
- The performance of your contract or to enter into the contract and to take action on your requests. For example, we’ll need to process your network traffic data as part of making your devices “connected” and we’ll need to process your payment details for your monthly billing.
- Vodafone’s legitimate business interests, for example, fraud prevention, maintaining the security of our network and services, direct marketing, and improvement of our services. Whenever we rely on this lawful basis to process your data, we assess our business interests to make sure they do not override your rights. Additionally, in some cases you have the right to object to this processing. For more information, visit the Your Rights section of this policy.
- Compliance with a mandatory legal obligation, including for example accounting and tax requirements, which are subject to strict internal policies (such as retention periods), procedures, and your right to restrict usage of your data, which control the scope of legal assistance to be provided; or
- Consent you provide where Vodafone does not rely on another legal basis. Consent is always presented to you separately and you can withdraw your consent at any time.
1. To provide you with your service
We use your information for service provision and to fulfil any purchases you have made:
- to help us identify you and any accounts you hold with us;
- to provide you with the connectivity you have requested for your Connected Devices;
- billing and customer care; and
- identity verification.
2. Marketing & profiling
If you are opted into marketing and have given us permission to use your data to tailor these communications, we’ll use your purchasing preferences and data from your Connected Devices to inform the sorts of marketing we should be sending you so that it’s the most relevant for you. For example, if we can see that you have purchased V-Pet, we can make sure we don’t market that product to you.
To opt out of Marketing messages or profiling:
If you no longer want to receive marketing messages from Vodafone, you can elect to opt out of all marketing communications or only selected methods (email, messaging, phone or post).
There are various ways to opt out:
- If you are a Vodafone consumer mobile customer, you can log in to your My Vodafone account, access ‘settings’ on the My Vodafone App, or call 1800 200 234 to manage your marketing permissions and to opt out or into receiving personalised marketing.
- For customers without a Vodafone mobile number, you can manage your permissions in the V by Vodafone App.
- Contact our customer services team via v.vodafone.com;
- All our marketing messages come with an “unsubscribe” link which you can click to unsubscribe;
- Tell the adviser if you receive an outbound marketing call;
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for guidance.
Opting out does not mean that you won’t any longer receive service-related messages, such as messages telling you about your order status or when our Terms & Conditions change. You will still continue to receive those (unless we have indicated otherwise).
3. Other profiling and automated processing
Outside of the profiling we conduct for marketing purposes to tailor and personalise the communications we send, we also profile you for credit, fraud and security purposes.
This can sometimes use systems to make automated decisions based on personal information we have or are allowed to collect from others. The goal is to make the decisions as quick, efficient, fair and correct as possible, based on what we know. It can affect the products or services we may offer you now or in the future.
We will process your personal data in order to protect against and detect fraud, and to recover debts or trace those who owe us money resulting from the use of our services.
4. Service improvement
- We collect anonymous, de-identified or aggregate information in order to improve the service we offer to everyone. None of these analytics are linked back to you in any way.
- To protect our networks and manage the volumes of calls, texts and other uses of our networks. For example, we identify peak periods of use so we can try and ensure the networks can handle the volume at those times; and
- To understand how you use our networks, products and services. That way we can seek to review, develop and improve these, develop more interesting and relevant products and services, as well as personalising our products and services.
Where applicable, we share information about you with:
- Companies in the Vodafone Group;
- Partners, suppliers or agents involved in delivering the products and services you’ve ordered or used;
- Companies who are engaged to perform services for, or on behalf of, Vodafone Limited, or Vodafone Group;
- Credit reference, fraud-prevention or business-scoring agencies, or other credit scoring agencies;
- Debt collection agencies or other debt-recovery organisations;
- Law enforcement agencies, government bodies, regulatory organisations, courts or other public authorities if we have to, or are authorised to by law; or
- A third party or body where such disclosure is required to satisfy any applicable law, or other legal or regulatory requirement.
We also share aggregate performance information with third party V by Vodafone partners to understand how products and the V by Vodafone offering is performing commercially. For example, if we know that certain products are selling well, we can focus on partnering with more partners that cater to the market. This information does not identify you personally.
If you are a non-Vodafone consumer mobile customer and we need to verify your identity, we will need to transfer your data to our service provider, which is based in India. Additionally our customer care centres are run by Vodafone Shared Services which is based in Hungary, Egypt, India and Romania.
When Vodafone sends your information to a country that is not in the EEA, we make sure that your information is properly protected. We will always ensure that there is a proper legal agreement that covers the data transfer. In addition, if the country is not considered to have laws that are equivalent to EU data protection standards then we will ask the third party to enter into a legal agreement that reflects those standards.
We’ll store and process your information for as long as we have to by law or as long as we need to be able to deliver you the services you have requested. We’ll keep some personal information for a reasonable period after your contract with us has finished in case you decide to use our services again. We, or one of our partners, may contact you about Vodafone services during this time if you haven’t opted out of receiving marketing communications from us. Once these bases have expired, we’ll delete that information.
We have specialised security teams who constantly review and improve our measures to protect your personal information from unauthorised access, accidental loss, disclosure or destruction.
Communications over the internet (such as emails) aren’t secure unless they’ve been encrypted. Your communications may go through a number of countries before being delivered, as this is the nature of the internet.
We cannot accept responsibility for any unauthorised access or loss of personal information that is beyond our control.
We’ll never ask for your secure personal or account information by an unsolicited means of communication. You’re responsible for keeping your personal and account information secure and not sharing it with others.
Our website may provide links to third-party websites. We cannot be responsible for the security and content of such third-party websites. So make sure you read that company’s privacy and cookies policies before using or putting your personal information on their site.
The same applies to any third-party websites or content you connect to using our products and services.
You may choose to disclose your information in certain ways such as social plug-ins (including those offered by Google, Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest) or using third-party services that allow you to post reviews or other information publicly, and a third party could use that information.
Below we set out details on how you can exercise your rights. If you have a question or cannot find the answer, please contact our Customer Services team via v.vodafone.com.
Right to correct personal data
If you become aware that any of the information we keep about you is incorrect or outdated, you can log into your My Vodafone account to edit your personal details. Alternatively, please contact customer care on 1907.
Right to access personal data
If you are a current customer and would like a copy of your personal data, you can submit your request by logging into your My Vodafone account. If you are not an active customer, please send your request to email@example.com including details of the account in question or any accounts you have previously had.
We will confirm receipt of your request and ensure that you receive this information within one month of the date of your request.
Right to data portability
You can submit a portability request by this by logging into your My Vodafone account.
You will receive your information in a digital, machine-readable format.
Right to object to use of personal data
- If you do not want your personal information to be used for any purpose, other than those necessary to provide a service to you, please let us know by selecting your data preferences. You can change your preferences at any time using your My Vodafone account. By selecting ‘settings’ on the My Vodafone App or by calling 1800 200 234. For customers without a Vodafone mobile number, you can manage your permissions in the V by Vodafone App.
How to lodge a complaint
If you want to contact us about any of your rights, or to enquire or make a complaint about how we use your information, contact our Customer Services team via v.vodafone.com or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org We’ll do our best to help but if you’re still unhappy, you can contact Data Protection Commission. Contact details for the Data Protection Commissioner are:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: +353 (0)57 868 4757 or +353 (0)761 104 800
- In writing: Data Protection Office, Canal House, Station Road, Portarlington, County Laois, R32 AP23, or Data Protection Office, 21 Fitzwilliam Square, Dublin 2, D02 RD28.
Right to restrict use of your data
If you wish to restrict the use of your data by Vodafone, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. It is helpful to let us know the reason for your restriction request.
Right to erasure
If you would like us to remove your personal data from our records, you can request this by logging into your My Vodafone account. If you do not have an active account, please email email@example.com to let us know what information you would like to have deleted.
We will send you confirmation when your request has been completed. Please note that if you have an active service with us, much of the information that we keep about you cannot be deleted as this is required to provide you with the service to you and to provide support to you.
Strictly Necessary Cookies
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you which amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms.
You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but some parts of the site will not then work. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable information.
Categories Cookies chat.chatlingual.com thirdparty vodafone.co.uks_vi s_vi
vodafone.pt s_vi chatlingual.com vodafoneciot.connect.cid vodafone.ie s_ecid vodafone.es womtp_a2bc seadform.net uid server.seadform.net cid vodafone.it s_vi vodafoneblog.azurewebsites.net ARRAffinity
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve the performance of our site. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site.
All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site, and will not be able to monitor its performance.
Categories Cookies vodafoneirl.tt.omtrdc.net
luckyorange.net __cfduid vodafone.d3.sc.omtrdc.net s_vi omtrdc.net s_vi_ex7Cwrux7Cx7Dvtax7Cfctacax7Cw mc.yandex.ru yabs-sid
These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and personalisation. They may be set by us or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages.
If you do not allow these cookies then some or all of these services may not function properly.
Categories Cookies boldchat.com
i.liadm.com _li_ss cdn.dimml.io AWSELB myvisualiq.net tuuid_lu
dynamic.dimml.io AWSELB liadm.com lidid
These cookies may be set through our site by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites.
They do not store directly personal information, but are based on uniquely identifying your browser and internet device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.
Categories Cookies mathtag.com uuidc
bing.com MUID youtube.com SID
w55c.net wfivefivec m.youtube.com LOGIN_INFO agkn.com u
in.getclicky.com cluid yahoo.com B serving-sys.com u2
bat.bing.com MUIDB yieldlab.net id casalemedia.com CMPRO
track.adform.net cid google.com APISID
dpm.demdex.net dpm rlcdn.com rtn1-z
krxd.net _kuid_ amazon-adsystem.com ad-id
openx.net i adnxs.com uuid2